Life with Keith, or The Whimsical Banjo Man

Herein is the Chronicle of my Life. It is mostly true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Hey y'all! I'm a 30-something "Appalachian American" living in southern Indiana. Musician by training and right of conquest, by which I mean dissertation. Despite appearances I am in fact not a hobbit. Just so we're clear on that. Desperately and happily partnered to My Ain True Love but you can call him "Dom". We have an intensely entertaining if bloodthirsty "cat" who has a heart condition, asthma, a weight problem, a plush squid paraphilia, and the improbable name of Balthasar Anatole Romulus Potorti. I wish I was kidding. The other cat doesn't have quotes because she is adorable and angelic, but is amazingly named Erma Hestia Brigit Clytemnestra Collins. Still not kidding.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Awake at Midnight, or I Had a Nap Today!

Greetings all!

Here I sit, typing again at a late hour. I'm awake, bored, vaguely hungry, and missing Dom like Crazy. I heard from my little world traveler. He is in Oaxaca, and had been for the previous days in Mexico City. While in the big city, he got sick (!) and obtained something unpronouncable from an apothecary. Then he was better and went to a museum, where I am sure he nearly fainted from excitement at tribal masks and other anthropological delights.

He is headed next to some place that sounds like Toxtlptliqutexotlpotl, but we could have had a bad connection. He might have said "Pueblo" instead. Either is a possibility.

For your viewing pleasure, I submit a secret: Dom and I are looking at rings. It's a funny thing. When you're one of Our People, you don't go through the whole seeking hand in marriage thing. Or should I say hand in civil union? Domestic partnership? I still like "spomo" = spouse homo. Anyway, we dated, we shacked up, it just seems like the natural next step. Not that it's recognized by the guv'ment or nothin', but still. I guess we could go Quaker, but I'm sure some of my friends at work would disown me. Maybe we'll go Canadian instead. I hear Vermont is nice. Not to live, just to go and get the paper. Of course we can and still may do it right here in the Rusty Bible Belt (=Midwest), paper be damned. At the very least we'll have a FABULOUS party.

I must admit, however, that I find myself daydreaming of a ceremony which includes superb, well-chosen music, and hand-picked attendants, all set to a translation of a Greek 10th century same-sex union ceremony. I TOTALLY want to wear a laurel wreath on my head at some point. ANYway, here's my ring of choice at the moment:



It's got Irish Wolfhounds on it!
Is maith sin!
(where are the diacriticals on blogger?)
Yay!










Also possible are the "Turkish" puzzle rings (not really indigenousto Turkey). We wanna find something that reflects our, um, unusual interests. Our interests include: Ireland (just say NO to Claddagh Rings!), Turkey (country, not livestock), Native America, cats and dogs, ice cream, shoes ("I'm gonna betch-slap you shet-bag!"; see Shoes post), woodsy outdoors, X-Men (Dom), Sci-fi (Keith), the colors blue and yellow (or for Our People "Cornflower" and "Saffron"), unicorns (Dom again), corn, black pickup trucks, yellow pickup trucks, sleigh beds, pants made out of linen, cat litter that makes our house NOT smell like Calcutta in July, native mask-making traditions, pirates and their lore, extinct or nearly-extinct languages, Stephen King, pizza, wine that doesn't suck, beer that doesn't suck, and Coke products, to name a few.

So maybe we won't have matching rings. But it'd be kinda fun if we did. Maybe we'll just say bugger it all and get matching tattoos. Or piercings. Or both! Or a puppy! [Just kidding Dom! Don't leave me!].

Sad fact: my parents won't/can't come. Happy fact: my sister and bro-in-law and nephew and foetus will! On the other hand, given how my mom behaved leading up to my sister's wedding maybe this is a good thing. And we'll have tens of friends there, I'm almost sure. Now we just have to find a place to do it where we won't get lynched. Yay America!

_____________________________________________________________



In other news, Balthazar woke me up on Monday hacking his evil little head off. Asthma attack. Dropped 90 bucks on the little snot. He made up for it today when he, Zeke and I had a nap on the couch. It was very sweet, if a little "Pet Semetary" somehow. Nice vet lady gave him 2 shots, and 2 bottles of pills. Now, it takes both me and Dom to hold the cat down to get pills in his little mouth. That's about 430 lbs of combined homo-mass per 10 lb cat.

Needless to say I value my digits far too much to try this alone. Instead I bought hypo-allergenic cat litter and have begun, Dom-style, to weave a little figure of the cat from his own rapidly-shedding fur. I'll have a little hoo-doo ritual and "get the good magic on 'im" and all will be well again. I just need to procure a few things. [*searches for chicken head, frog bladder, and Ouija board*]


Well my poppets, it's almost 1am and I need to be up and about tomorrow to try and build an extinct western European fretted zither based on one discovered in a barn in North Carolina in 1972. In other words, business as usual for Keith!

kisses,
K

1 Comments:

Blogger Garghoulee said...

I can hardly contain myself thinking of your ceremony. Could I wear something in a lovely chartreuse chiffon? I'm happy for you both, and the Snowflake and I will be there with bells on, wherever you decide to do the nuptials. We're thinking of Belgium ourselves...or perhaps Toronto....(Ericka could wear a maple-leaf dress as attendant.)We're looking for a harp player though....

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home