Life with Keith, or The Whimsical Banjo Man

Herein is the Chronicle of my Life. It is mostly true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Hey y'all! I'm a 30-something "Appalachian American" living in southern Indiana. Musician by training and right of conquest, by which I mean dissertation. Despite appearances I am in fact not a hobbit. Just so we're clear on that. Desperately and happily partnered to My Ain True Love but you can call him "Dom". We have an intensely entertaining if bloodthirsty "cat" who has a heart condition, asthma, a weight problem, a plush squid paraphilia, and the improbable name of Balthasar Anatole Romulus Potorti. I wish I was kidding. The other cat doesn't have quotes because she is adorable and angelic, but is amazingly named Erma Hestia Brigit Clytemnestra Collins. Still not kidding.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Wildlife on Lake Erie, or: Snakes, Eaglets, and Siblings, Oh My!

Hey y'all! On this episode we'll view some of the "nature" which is to be found on Lake Erie's Islands (this does not include the creepy sorostitutes from universities in the midwest who flock to Put-in-Bay's imaginary tropical paradise, nor does it document their male counterparts called "frat-o-skanks").

First up today is the Lake Erie Water Snake. This is a protected species which has made a grand comeback in recent years. Funny story: on one of my first trips to Lake Erie I spotted a LEWS lounging in the water around my sister's legs. The only thing I could think to say was "SEA SNAKE!!!!" which resulted in my sister rising from the sea and walking, nay RUNNING, upon the water. It was quite funny.






















Next is an egret (I think). Majestic and graceful, these and other crane-like birds are thought in many cultures to represent heaven, the otherworld, divinity. In Irish folklore, cranes, geese, and swans are believed to be fairies traveling in disguise. Huh.




Please note the daring use of reflection in this composition (*cough cough totally an accident cough*).














And now that most majestic of birds, our national symbol, the Bald Eagle. This is a juvenile who has not yet attained the white head. The nest is in the lower right corner. We saw the adults off and on, but they were never still for very long.




This is the nest I mentioned in an earlier post as abutting the new landing strip on the island.















Here's a rare critter. I managed to capture on film the oft-reported but rarely-documented Committed Monogamous Homo. This variety does not frequent the bars like most. Instead he is content to stay close to home with his lifelong mate. Needless to say I blowgunned him and took him home.







Finally, here are a pair of Collinses. Short but jovial, they enjoy humor, and are apt to laugh a lot when gathered together. Don't piss them off, though. They spit and throw their own poop.















Well, that's it for this episode. Thanks for tuning in and we'll see you next time!

later,
K

1 Comments:

Blogger Garghoulee said...

You make me laugh. More pics! (no poo, please.)

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home