Life with Keith, or The Whimsical Banjo Man

Herein is the Chronicle of my Life. It is mostly true.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Hey y'all! I'm a 30-something "Appalachian American" living in southern Indiana. Musician by training and right of conquest, by which I mean dissertation. Despite appearances I am in fact not a hobbit. Just so we're clear on that. Desperately and happily partnered to My Ain True Love but you can call him "Dom". We have an intensely entertaining if bloodthirsty "cat" who has a heart condition, asthma, a weight problem, a plush squid paraphilia, and the improbable name of Balthasar Anatole Romulus Potorti. I wish I was kidding. The other cat doesn't have quotes because she is adorable and angelic, but is amazingly named Erma Hestia Brigit Clytemnestra Collins. Still not kidding.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

... Oklahoma: NOT OK

So here's the letter I wrote to Rep. Sally Kern. In case you've been under a rock, she was recorded saying that gays are a worse threat than terrorism.



Dear Representative Kern,

Thank you for articulating what many Americans are afraid to say out loud. If there were more people like you we could perhaps have an open dialog about homosexuality.

As a happily partnered gay man, I applaud your vociferous and astonishingly candid speech which is now making news. If we as a society recognize that our elected officials have such strongly anti-gay views, we can perhaps begin to see that things have gone too far and that we can begin to heal as a nation.

When young people hear speeches like yours they learn that it is ok to have negative attitudes about gays. Please read about the tragic murder of Lawrence King, a 15 year old who had his brains blown out by a classmate because he was thought to be gay. http://lifewithkeith.blogspot.com/

You have every right to believe the things you said in your speech. But please keep in mind that as a community leader, your words can have profound impact on young minds. Clearly you do not endorse the murder of people who are thought to be gay. But young minds are fickle, and the words and deeds of people with your power are highly influential. Please keep that in mind before you say things like "gays are worse than terrorists".

with utmost respect,
Keith Collins



I didn't go into trying to convince her that her arguments are exceedingly faulty, illogical, and untrue; I know that would be fruitless. But I hope she'll at least see that when someone with her power and status says things like she said, it gives a small segment of society the sense that violence against gays is not only ok, but necessary for the good of the country. The logic might go something like: "Terrorism is bad, we go after terrorists; gays are worse, we'll go after them, too." And the violence continues.

I don't expect a response, but at least I feel like I tried a little. Alarmingly, she really believes that what she said is the truth. Equally alarming are the death threats she's received. Come on people, let's treat her like we want to be treated!

Happily, the governor of OK has made the admonishment to "cool the rhetoric". I like that.

If you're as astonished at her remarks as I am, consider writing to her at sallykern@okhouse.gov.

~kc

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your BLOG! As a gay man living in Oklahoma I was a little surprised to see and hear her comments. But it seems this is the general attitude in this part of the country. That is a sad and unfortunate state of affairs that hopefully will be changing.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home